Ka Makana Ali’i First Tenants AnnouncedPosted on Jun 14, 2012 in Department of Hawaiian Home Lands
HAWAI‘I DEBARTOLO ANNOUNCES FIRST TENANTS
FOR KA MAKANA ALI‘I
Walgreens, 24 Hour Fitness are First Anchors for the Initial Phase of East Kapolei Regional Center, The First to be Built in Hawai‘i in More Than 30 years
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- CONTACT: Wally Zimmermann; firstname.lastname@example.org; (808) 275‐3001
- DOWNLOAD a PDF version of this release
KAPOLEI, Hawai‘i (June 14, 2012) – Hawai‘i DeBartolo announced today that national retailer Walgreens and fitness club industry leader 24 Hour Fitness will be two of the first phase anchors of East Kapolei’s Ka Makana Ali‘i (KMA), the first new regional shopping center to be built in Hawai‘i in more than 30 years. Located between Kapolei Parkway, Roosevelt Avenue and Kualakai Parkway (formerly known as North‐South Road), KMA will be a 1.4 million‐square‐foot urban mixed‐use center that is expected to provide an economic boost for the region and become West O‘ahu’s community hub. DeBartolo expects construction to commence on the $350‐million‐project next year, with Phase I scheduled to open in 2014.
“Ka Makana Ali‘i will fit seamlessly in the West O‘ahu community. Its unique blend of tenants will offer amenities like no other center in the area, which we believe will help create another source of pride for West Oahu,” said Edward M. Kobel, President and Chief Operating Officer of DeBartolo Development. “Ka Makana Ali‘i will be one of the only regional malls to be built in the United States in years, and we are very excited to partner with the West O‘ahu community to make this a reality.”
Ka Makana Alii’s first phase of development will be a unique neighborhood convenience center, and will feature several first‐in‐Hawai‘i stores. The 200,000‐square‐foot Phase 1 will be built on 19.72 acres and will include:
- Walgreens: The nation’s largest pharmacy chain and America’s first choice for health and daily living needs. The store will offer a pharmacy, photo processing and products, health and wellness products as well as beauty and personal care items. Walgreens offers a range of products and services to help customers live well, stay well and get well;
- 24 Hour Fitness: One of KMA’s anchor stores will be a new 24 Hour Fitness® Super‐Sport club. The club will offer more than 35,000 square feet of indoor workout space, featuring a wide variety of state‐of‐the‐art cardio, strength and functional training equipment with personal viewing screens on select machines, a full schedule of Group X® classes, Kids’ Club babysitting service, complimentary towel service and more. The facility will also feature an additional outdoor area spanning 17,000 square feet, which will offer a lap pool, spa, full basketball court and functional training area. 24 Hour Fitness is one of the most prominent fitness club chains in Hawaii, and this will mark the company’s ninth location on the islands.
- State Farm Insurance: Brandon Kekoa Bell is a full service agent providing a variety of State Farm insurance and financial products to meet his customers’ needs, including State Farm Bank products;
- Butterfly® Ice Cream: A Hawaii‐based premium gourmet ice cream store featuring ice cream and sorbet, made in front of customers, using fresh ingredients and island‐sources; and
- NailTek: With eight locations on Oahu (Moanalua, Hawaii Kai, Hickam, Kapolei, Schofield Barracks and two in Mililani), NailTek is the premier destination for the complete nail care experience. Owners David Vo and Myhanh Nguyen have been named Best of the Best by the Official People’s Choice Awards.
In addition, McDonald’s is in the final stages of negotiations to become part of Ka Makana Ali‘i Phase I. McDonald’s currently has 76 locations across the state of Hawaii.
Leasing for Phase I is nearly complete and is expected to include a market, services, other restaurants and the best local retailers designed to meet the daily needs of a growing community.
Upon completion, Ka Makana Ali‘i will be the third largest regional mall on O‘ahu (after Ala Moana and Pearlridge). Phase II will include a major department store, a family entertainment complex with theatre, national and local retail offerings, restaurants, two hotels catering to kama‘āina, a pedestrian plaza surrounded by outdoor cafes and underground parking.
KMA is surrounded by numerous master‐planned communities, just a half‐mile south of the new University of Hawai‘i West O‘ahu campus, with its 7,600 students and 550 faculty and staff. Nearby are Ko Olina Resort, the five‐star J. W. Marriott, Ko Olina Beach Club and Disney’s Aulani Resort.
Hawai‘i DeBartolo is leasing land from the state Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, and under the agreed‐upon terms, will pay more than $140 million in rent over 65 years. In December, the Hawaiian Homes Commission gave approval to the determination of Finding of No Significant Impact (known as FONSI) for the Final Environmental Assessment for the Ka Makana Ali‘i Conceptual Master Plan. In addition to building thousands of homes adjacent to the center for Hawaiian homesteaders, revenues from the master lease will finance other homesteading opportunities for Native Hawaiians, according to DHHL officials.
For more information on KMA, please visit www.kamakanaalii.com.
About DeBartolo Development, LLC
For more than six decades, the DeBartolo name has been an icon in the real estate industry. Founded by legendary entrepreneur Edward J. DeBartolo Sr., DeBartolo pioneered the mall concept and built some of the most well‐known shopping meccas in the nation. Led today by Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., former owner of the five‐time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers and three‐time Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins, and his brother, Edward Kobel, DeBartolo Development is one of the largest privately held real estate development companies in the country. With years of work in ground‐up development, joint venture projects and asset management, DeBartolo Development has extensive experience in a wide range of capabilities. From basic retail centers to the most modern mixed‐use environments, to reliable investment opportunities, DeBartolo Development continues the family tradition with a suite of solutions created to meet the unique challenges of today’s market. For more information about DeBartolo Development, please visit our Website at www.debartolodevelopment.com.